I’m really excited to tell you about this new Sew4Good Project: Quilts of Valor! Quilts of Valor is an established organization that provides patriotic quilts to veterans and they are always looking for sewers! So here is a post with all the Quilts of Valor info, including how to get started, quilt requirements, fabrics to use, pattern links and more!
Quilts of Valor was started by a mother who noticed her son struggling with PTSD after returning from military service. A quilt may not cure PTSD but the love and appreciation that is stitched in a specially made quilt can make a small difference. You can read more about Quilts of Valor’s mission here.
Quilts of Valor Quilt Requirements
Americana Quilt Fabrics
- Celebrate America Mini Stars Cream (affiliate links)
- Celebrate America Mini Stars Red
- Riley Blake Stars Navy seems to be sold out but here is a light blue version of the same fabric
- Here is a similar navy stars fabric
More great patriotic fabrics
- Patriots Americana Star Circle Yardage
- American Legacy Cream Plaid Yardage
- Blue Batiks Storm
- Fireworks and Freedom is a bright, patriotic line
- Land of the Free Fireworks
- More stars fabric
- More patriotic fabric
- Bess’s Flower Garden has a muted red, white and blue color palette
108″ wide backing fabrics
These backing fabrics are already 108″ wide (typical fabric is 44″) so you don’t have to piece the back of the quilt. The backing fabric can add an extra design or pick a solid that matches.
- Flags print wide back
- 108″ navy/antique patriotic
- Navy on cream star wide back
- Berry Vine wide back
- Blue paisley wide back
- Royal blue solid yardage
Quilts of Valor Label Requirement
One unique requirement is a special label that shows the quilt is made for Quilt of Valor. You can purchase labels on Spoonflower or create your own with a permanent ink pen like the Sakura Pigma Micron Pen.
Quilts of Valor Size Requirement
- The ideal size for a Quilts of Valor quilt is 60″ x 80″ but you can choose a pattern between 55″ x 65″ and 72″ by 90″.
Quilts of Valor Patterns
You don’t have to use any specific pattern for this project but the overall theme should be patriotic. The Quilts of Valor website has a few suggestions on their site, but I wanted to list a few more that I love so you have lots of options. These are a few pretty quilts that are either flag-themed or will look awesome in patriotic fabrics:
- The Americana Quilt, shown in this post – 4 sizes (use throw or twin for Quilts of Valor)
- Let’s Stay Home Quilt by Polka Dot Chair, 60″ by 84″
- Flying Flags Quilt Tutorial by Diary of a Quilter, 66″ by 80″
- Stars Stripes and Dots Quilt, 65″ by 90″
- Red Delicious Quilt Pattern, 69″ by 88″
- Stars and Stripes Forever, 57″ by 71″
- Stars and Stripes, 56″ by 71″
- Let Freedom Ring, 64″ by 82″
- Flag Quilt Block Pattern, 6″ by 6″ or 12″ by 12″
- All American Quilt Pattern, 66″ by 78″