It’s another week of Oilcloth + Leather projects for Don’t Fear the Fabric here at See Kate Sew and over at MADE. Today I’m sharing a circle skirt tutorial made with the perfect buttery pleather!
I’ve been sharing leather projects so far but today I have an animal friendly post! Girl Charlee recently started stocking some unique fabrics including PLEATHER (or vegan leather).
I got a little excited about it and the timing was perfect for the Don’t Fear the Fabric series Dana and I had been planning. So Girl Charlee sent me some of it (the pink one!) and I ordered some more (the gold one!) and I’m still thinking about getting some black. Need all the pleather.
It’s a really nice pleather, thin and easy to work with! I love the way it looks and there are lots of colors to choose from. Plus, since you’ve already learned how to sew leather, transitioning to pleather is a breeze. I used a walking foot to sew this. I found that the teflon foot wasn’t enough to keep the pleather from sticking and getting stuck in my machine. The walking foot made it super easy.
And as a bonus, this vegan leather has STRETCH so you don’t need any closures on the skirt! Although, if you want to make it with another material, just insert an invisible zipper in the side seam.
Isn’t this gold pleather perfect for the holidays?
DIY PLEATHER CIRCLE SKIRT TUTORIAL
Materials for Pleather Skirt
- 2-3 yards vegan leather (2 yards for up to size L, 3 for larger)
- walking foot recommended
- create your own pattern below or use the download below for size M
Circle Skirt Instructions:
1. Measure Waist.
2. Measure 5″ below waist
3. Create waistband pattern piece using the two measurements you just took.
4, Cut two waistband pieces out of fabric placing the short side on a fold.
5. Sew the pieces together at one of the size seams.
6. Fold the waistband over and topstitch in or near the seam at the side.
7. Draw two perpendicular lines and draw in a curve at the top equal to 1/4″ of the 4″ below waist measurement.
8. The legs of the skirt will be as long as your desired length minus 4″ for the waistband.
9. Cut two pattern pieces on a fold to make two half circles.
10. Sew them together at one side seam.
11. Match the curved edge to the bottom of the waistband and sew.
12. Sew up the side seam and you’re done!
OR print off the free pattern in size M here. (Waist 30-32″// Below waist 38-40″)
Head over to MADE to see Dana’s oilcloth barstools.! They are SO pretty.